Key Considerations When Selecting an Injection Molding Manufacturer
Choosing the right partner for your injection molding project is crucial to the success of the project. But how do you choose? What qualities and capabilities should you look for? How do you know the manufacturer will be able to fulfill your project needs?
Baytech Plastics is here to share our expertise. Below, we provide a list of key considerations when selecting an injection molding manufacturer.
10 Key Considerations When Selecting an Injection Molding Manufacturer
If your business relies on injection molded products, parts or components, finding the right manufacturing partner is essential. When you think about it, your business’s reputation, the success of a product launch or the continued success of an existing product, and even the overall success of your business depend on how well the injection molding manufacturer does its job. The product they produce will have your name on it. You want to make sure the partner you choose will meet your quality standards and production deadlines.
To help you find the right partner, we’ve assembled a checklist of 10 key considerations when selecting an injection molding manufacturer that you can use to compare and contrast manufacturers during your search or review of bids.
- Processing Techniques. This is the most basic consideration. Can the manufacturer produce what you need in the way that you need it to be produced? What is their experience level with the processing techniques that you need? Do they have experience in producing products in your industry? These are all valid questions to ask as you source a manufacturing partner.
- Full-Service Customer Support. You want a partner who is going to be there for you. Plastic injection molding is a specialty production technique. You should not be expected to have all the answers, know all the challenges and pitfalls that could occur, and what the solutions should be. Look for a partner who will be your guide and advocate, not just fulfilling your order, but helping you throughout the process to the point where they feel like an extension of your own operations.
- High-Tech Capabilities. What has the investment looked like at the manufacturer? Have they kept up with the latest trends and advances in plastics manufacturing? Investment in their own operations demonstrates a commitment to their field and business success. Investments in robotics, green and energy-saving solutions, and computer programs all indicate a manufacturer who is dedicated to providing the most current solutions available.
- Business Partnerships. What kind of partnerships or professional network does the manufacturer maintain? These strategic alliances can pay off for you because they can help to reduce costs, streamline logistics, source expertise, and mitigate risks more than working with a manufacturer that does not have a similar network it can rely upon.
- Industry Experience. Does the manufacturer have experience specifically in your industry? This may or may not matter, depending on the project particulars, but a partner who is familiar with your industry goals, outcomes, timelines, terminology, and competitors will have a deeper understanding of your needs and communication will be clearer.
- Value-Adds. Do they offer any value-added services that make your job easier such as finishing, painting, logistics, packaging and warehousing? These may seem like small details that don’t matter in the grand scheme of things, but when the time comes, you will appreciate having one partner who can handle so many moving parts of a project
- Global Logistics. Do you need to ship overseas? Need help sourcing the best materials and the best prices? What if you could hand it all off to your injection molding partner? Businesses can save time and money and secure better prices and services if they can find an injection molding partner with worldwide contacts and global expertise, particularly if they can help with import and export management and documentation.
- Tooling Procurement. Tooling is a critical component of the injection molding process. You definitely want a partner who can handle tooling procurement for you. They will be best able to match the tooling to the production method and product requirements to ensure quality and replicability at cost-effective prices.
- Diverse Market Experience. Manufacturers who work with different industries and markets have a knowledge advantage over those who specialize in only one or two industries. A diversity of market experience allows a manufacturer to draw on best practices from different industries and apply them to others. Some of the greatest innovations can be traced back to someone trying something new based on what they learned from a different industry or application.
- Longevity. As a general rule, the longer a plastic injection molding manufacturer has been in business, the more likely they will be to meet every item on this checklist. Longevity means successful projects, happy clients, reinvestment in the manufacturing equipment, expertise in many different projects, and an established network of suppliers and partners.
Baytech Plastics Checks Every Box
For every one of the above-mentioned key considerations when selecting an injection molding manufacturer, Baytech Plastics earns a checkmark. Contact us at (705) 526-7801 or reach us online to learn more about our capabilities and get started on your next project today.